Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Grow your own vegetables

I didn't go to church on Sunday, but Mom did, and she picked up this flyer:

Grow your own vegetables


Those members and friends that would like to grow their own food and reduce grocery bills, consider the Fort Dodge Ward Vegetable Gardeners. We will be involved in planning our gardens, choosing vegetables, preparing soil, planting, tending and harvesting our crops. If you don't have a garden plot, consider growing vegetables in containers - we'll show you how.

We have free gardening seminars, discounts from local nurseries, instruction on food preservation, lots of advice and and a free initial rototilling service to get ready for planting. In the fall, we'll have a harvest potluck banquet with food grown in our gardens. Watch for information posted in our lobby.

The contact person is Dave Mills, but I'm not posting his phone number and email address on this blog. If you are a member of our ward, you can contact me at caysedai (at) gmail (dot) com. (Substitute @ for at and . for dot and squish together. It's so spambots can't pick up my email address.)

Cayla and I have been thinking of having a vegetable garden this year. I've already received verbal permission from my landlady. I'll have to call Iowa One Call ("call before you dig") to make sure there isn't anything where I plan to have the garden. I failed to check last fall to see what parts of the yard are shady. I can do some container gardening in the front yard, too, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment